ISV 2 Day Workshop

Day 1

Day 2

Icebreaker

Use the poll to below to choose an approximate descriptor of your ICT Use.

c

Proper Start: Welcome!

Let’s begin by sharing how you currently use ICTs to support student learning.

1. Use the Comments link on this post to share your practices. Also let us know where and what you teach and anything you think we might be interested in.
  2. Use the “Reply” link next to a colleague’s comment to support, ask for details, share common interests, etc.

Focus

What did we just do and what did we need to do it?

1. A platform
  2. A strategy
  3. A few “cool Web 2 tools”

This is the core of what we will be exploring and developing over the next two days.

Exploring the Preferred Platform

Explore the links below of previous Workshop participants who made sites using WordPress.com

Brainstorm what you think stands out about these sites using Stixy. Review platforms: WordPress.com (and its variants), Edmodo, Moodle, Canvas, etc.

Developing your Platform

If you already have a preferred platform, please have a think about whether to use it or WordPress.com  If you’re game to use WordPress, start with the links below:

WordPress? – Creating your Online Platform

The Edge-ucators’ Way

• Tom’s Presentation

Strategy #1 – Look to Learn

Immersion

Background and Resources

Day 1 Wrap-up

Day 2

Work Period

Review & Consolidation

Review & Rationale: Why and how are “Look to Learns” and ICTs good for student learning?  Add as much as you can in our collaborative writing space.

Developing your Cutting Edge-ucation

You now have all the strategies and skills needed to get on with leading your school into the Next Era of Education where we focus on helping individual student achieve their human potential, unfettered by the constraints of Industrial Age schooling.  Use this time to develop your activities, plans and online space to help your school progress.

• Platform
  • Strategies
  • Tools

Pedagogy Review

With a focus on pedagogy and powerful frameworks I find most powerful for 1:1 personal learning are Self-Determination TheoryCultures of ThinkingHabits of MindFlow TheoryGrit and Authentic Happiness.  These and others have morphed into the model I’ve created below:

C E QA LL / Seek all!

Self-managed Learning Framework for students

Web 2.0 Tools

Diigo

Class Blogs

ClassPortals

Examples

References:

WebQuests

Current Examples

Older Examples

Tom’s WebQuest Resources

Feedback

It would be great if you could complete this Jotform to provide some feedback.

This entry was posted in workshops and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to ISV 2 Day Workshop

1. Stephen says:

We are in a transition/ rebuilding phase in terms of ICT. I would like to upskill and be able to support others in our school, with particular emphasis on developing class blogs.

• tmarch says:

Hi Stephen,
      Please feel free to use any of the links / strategies for class blogs in this workshop back at your school.

2. Natalie says:

I currently use ICT in the primary library for developing older students information literacy skills. I would like to extend this to all year levels. I would also like to encourage all teachers to incorporate ICT into their lessons and suggest the school develops a scope and sequence for doing this. I need to update my knowledge a lot before this happens!

• Andrew Walter says:

I like the idea of integrating ICT into all teaching areas. The next scary/exciting step is ‘transforming’ the curriculum through ICT. Changing what we teach and how we teach it.

• Roxanne says:

I am a teacher librarian. I have previously used a variety of ICT with my students. At my last school, MLC, I created a program called iLibrary, which utiluised over 30 web 2.0 applications. I am currently runnign a cut-down version of this with year 6 & 7. The first few sessions of this course can be viewed at the above address.
      I look forward to sharing and learning.

3. Quentin Pritchard says:

I am teaching Grades 5/6 at Good Shepherd College, Hamilton. I have used a Wiki for homework/ links to websites for several years. I am also interested in using short videos using Jing etc. for lesson delivery. Have been trying to get these tasks onto Wiki with lots of problems. Have had a bit of a go with blogs but need more practise.

• Penny says:

I’m interested that you said you’ve had lots of problems with wikis, Quentin. I have had lots of problems even with blogging and I find this discouraging. I like the sound of Jing – what’s the idea behind that?

• quentin says:

Jing is a free screen capture tool that either takes pictures or videos.
        The good thing about the video is you can video over the top of other programs running, so you can put a scan of a text or whatever into Easiteach etc. and highlight parts of text etc. you want the kids to take note of. A problem is the videos are in a SWF format. I’m sure there’s better ways of doing this but I don’t know where to look. And yes, I know how frustrating it is when problems keep coming up.

• Andrew Walter says:

I have only used wikis through our Schools Moodle app. Many issues with ICT tend to be on the infrastructure side which we often can’t control. Don’t give up!

• Justin says:

Found an interesting app that has links to videos etc that can be good discussion starters. It is not YouTube so there is no chance of stumbling across inappropriate videos. It is called Wimp. Could come in useful?

• Penny says:

I like the sound of Wimp. Our school network blocks YouTube access for students which I find a real challenge.

• Gjulsime Idrizi says:

I have started a blog on my weebly webpage. But I am finding that few students are viewing or commenting. It is not working as well as I had hoped.

How are you using wiki for homework?

4. Roxanne says:

I’m a teacher librarian. I use ICT regularly with my students. I ave previously created a course at MLC called iLibrary, which uses over 30 web 2.0 applications, which ran weekly at year 9. Now I run a limited program with years 6 & 7 called Information Literacy. The first few weeks are at the above address.
    I look forward to sharing and learning 🙂

5. Susan Mackay says:

We use Edmodo for discussions, setting and receiving assignments and marking. The students use their Edmodo backpacks to store digital resources and unfinished work.
    Students use Scratch to present assignments and learn simple programming.
    We have made blogs (kidblog) with each student contributing.
    Sometimes Utube and tumblr has supplied interesting discussion starters.

• Susan Mackay says:

Forgot to mention I am teaching in Prep – 6 classrooms as an ICT specialist, team teaching with the classroom teachers.

• Penny says:

This sounds really interesting Susan – I am keen to investigate Edmodo. I want to work towards more online submission but am not soing much of this at the moment except through email or online quizzes.

• Justin says:

Just done my first submission on edmodo with year 4 students. It was integrating to her the troubles they were having at home. Wasn’t too worried tht they couldn’t do it this time. Th discussion they had in class and online was interesting to watch and listen to, then most were able to do it. Good learning happened. More to come

• Andrew Walter says:

I have dabbled with Edmodo and it was really user friendly but the school uses Moodle so I haven’t got the time to do both. Is it easy to use in terms of annotating student’s work? I had to use Scratch for my uni course and I got frustrated with it because I didn’t have enough time to learn how to use it properly. I like the jigsaw pieces structure. It must make teaching it’s use a bit easier.

• Jo Westland says:

Edmodo is something I think I should be looking at. We currently use Schoology, Evernote and basic email for submission of assignments and some communication but I’m not totally happy with that. I think I will investigate Edmodo tonight as a few today mention using it.

6. Penny says:

Hi! I teach at Highview College – secondary English predominantly.

I have just started a blog with my year 7s based on the flipping the classroom idea – a clip to watch and a quiz to answer in preparations for each week. This is pretty rudimentary at the moment – I want to work towards students blogging themselves later this year.

We are working towards a 1:1 program, so I have begun to use more ICT presentation and collaboration tools like Prezi and Voicethread.

• Susan Mackay says:

I am very interested in flipped classrooms and would like to give it a try. What were the pitfalls and the benefits?

I have used videos to begin a lesson but have not set viewing as home work yet.

• Penny says:

Susan – I’ve only just started this. The bonus seems to be that kids are already engaged in content which takes out class time in engagement activities, allowing more time to head towards higher order thinking activities. The downside is the need for internet access at home (or at least proactivity suring free time at school), and some kids come unprepared so are a bit out of it to start with.

• Andrew Walter says:

You need a platform that can store your recorded lessons or whatever. For example, a web based platform like Moodle to upload your files to and a recording suite like Camtasia or Audacity. You also need a decent microphone otherwise your voice sounds pretty dodgy. It’s so much fun!!

7. Justin says:

I am doing Action Research at school. Being trained up to become an elearning specialist. Teaching year 4. Have used kidblog previously, now using edmodo. School is rolling out 1:1 iPads so we are developing how that will be best implemented.

• Taya Shevchuk says:

Hi Justin, why have you moved from kidblog to edmodo?

• Justin says:

Basically because the school as a whole uses edmodo. I like kidblog better and I am seriously considering going back to it. And using them in conjunction with each other. Kidblog I feel is more kid friendly, where edmodo is great when you want them to submit things online.

8. Ben Martinez says:

I’m a secondary Art & Design teacher looking to improve in my ICT skills. At VCE level I mainly use a Facebook Group to stay in contact with my students but I would love to learn new ways to interact with my students via ICT platforms.

• Jo Westland says:

Hi Ben,
      I’m an art teacher too. Our school is 1:1 iPads and one of my challenges is to find ways to use them in the art room ( I struggle as I still like to have a pencil or brush in my hand )
      Jo

• Ben says:

Jo,

I totally agree with you, nothing can replace a good old fashion pencil and brush. At junior level there are some great apps out there where kids can learn about colour mixing or just have a play creating artworks on the iPad. But nothing beats doing by hand.

• Susan Mackay says:

Edmodo is a great platform for communicating in a similar manner to Facebook, but has more security and capacity for setting and receiving assignments.

• Narelle milekic says:

I have found edmodo a fantastic tool and want to learn more about its abilities. I use it for weekly assignments and putting up pictures of cooking each week, kids love decorating their food to display, then I get them to make edublogs with the aid of it class for all their design process work…

9. Jo Westland says:

Hi, I am a secondary teacher ( art, humanities ). I have my “L” plates on in the world of ICT. Our school has an iPad program across years 5-10. It has been a challenge but exciting as staff and students explore, stumble and learn together. I am only just discovering what an awesome world of community and collaboration is at my finger tips. I’m hoping to discover over the next two days things I can use in the classroom as well as teaching development.

10. Andrew Walter says:

Hi all,

I work as a numeracy teacher aide with Year 7-9 students in learning support elective classes. I use the school’s Moodle web app to have students interact with web based learning resources such as Youtube, Khan Academy, Scootle, Mymaths online, Soundcloud, Audacity and WordPress. I have students complete and submit tasks online and have used Camtasia and Smart Recorder to create resources for students to interact with.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• tmarch says:

Hi Andrew,

Sounds great. Please feel free to share your experiences with some of these Web 2 tools with the rest of the group. You might be interested using / modifying the Web 2 Tools Panel.
      Welcome, Tom

11. Samantha Demetriou says:

I am the Primary Health & PE Teacher at Covenant College in Geelong. I would like to use more ICT especially in my Health lessons. Our school has access to iPads and laptops and I would like to learn more about how I can best implement their use in the classroom setting.

• Susan Mackay says:

I have seen PE teachers also use uTubes on PE skills as a station in the PE lesson. Also this teacher films students, using a phone, to show those who are struggling with a skill where they are making mistakes. It has been successful as the student can see for themselves where correction is necessary.

• Samantha Demetriou says:

I have used those things too. We now have contour cameras at school that we use to video the students. Not only is it great for instant feedback for the students, but for assessment of skills which can be difficult to do without the luxury of replaying video footage!

12. Taya Shevchuk says:

Hi everyone 🙂 I teach Grade 1 at Northside Christian College. Our class currently have 6 iPads as part of an IPad trial. I’m not loving the iPads but am open to suggestions for cool apps for lower primary. This is our 3rd week with them. Our class uses our interactive whiteboard lots. I find better IWB activities/targeted games on the Internet that use flash, so we can’t use them on the iPads. I really want to get a class website or blog happening, that would probably be one of my goals.

• Susan Mackay says:

Try Book Creator ~$5 per iPad
      Kids World Maps Free
      Sock Puppets Free or was free (It is fun and can be used for scripted presentations, but the voices are changed and can be too high pitched for comfortable long term listening.)

13. Marvelled mile kid says:

Hi, i am a home ec teacher otherwise known as design and tech, at Gilson College. Am teaching years 6-8 food and textiles tech. Started using edmodo with classes this year and dabbling with edublogs. Very new but getting there.

14. Narelle milekic says:

Now the real me…not the marvelled kid.

15. Sadia Hussain says:

Hi, I am a specialist Islamic Studies and Arabic teacher for years 5-10. We use ICT a little in class, such as sharing files using Dropbox, or apps such as Educreations. Hope to learn more ways to connect with my students and help them learn.

16. Ben says:

Hi Jo,

What Art area do you focus in? Like you Im also on my L plates and looking to learn new ways to interact with my students both in and out of the classroom

17. Narelle milekic says:

Is anyone else using edmodo or edublogs

18. Gjulsime Idrizi says:

Hi,

I am a grade 5/6 teacher at Al Siraat College and every student in my class has their own iPad for learning. I have only begun using the iPad in my classes, mainly substituting tasks and also using multiple apps for my lessons. Some apps that I have used include i-nigma and also PicCollage.

I would love to create more authentic tasks for learning, using the iPad to facilitate this and to give students a chance to do things that they have never done before. I am interested in using blogging platforms for my class, for specific subject areas.

19. Grant Fiedler says:

Hi, I am the principal at Nhill Lutheran School. Although the teachers and students are up with ICT, I’m still very green. I’ve come to this workshop to develop my understanding of how ICT can support improved learning outcomes – and to develop my own ICT skills.

20. sonia says:

Hi, I am a the coordinator/grade 5 teacher at Australian International Academy. I was the E-learning coordinator for the past 2 years, introduced a ICT scope and sequence to my school. I have created blogs, QR codes, Websites etc with my class. We have integrated Ipads into the year 5 classes for 2 years and implemented them into year 4 this year. I am interested in how we can incoporate the ipads into learning more and move to less paper and more electronic learning.

21. Jasmine says:

Hi, Im Jasmine – grade 4 classroom teacher and the new e-learning coordinator for this year. I ask Sonia alot of questions as we are from the same school, Australian International Academy. I was part of the ISV trail last year with iPads and as a result this year, our grade 4 have iPads. Slowly trying to integrate it in. Loved when having for the trail but interested to learn how home-based iPads can work just as well as school based iPAds. Electronic learning. My class already has a blog but I would like it to be flipped learning based.

22. Jasmine says:

Ps. Id also love to learn coding and be able to teach it to my grade 4 students through Maths lesson. What most schools don’t teach is a great clip about the need for teaching coding in schools http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0z-C8Ke2FQ 🙂