How nice to be back after an absence of many years. I know we’ll have a great day together. You can access the Agenda if you like.
Session 1 – Vision Clarification
Activity #1 – Pre-assessments
Polling your Viewpoint
Brainstorming Your Challenges
Now let’s give all staff members a voice: brainstorm the greatest challenges you face in your job of educating students using EtherPad (this version is PrimaryPad – which we can discuss later). Instructions: click on your assigned link below and enter in words or phrases that describe your greatest challenges. This is an anonymous activity so please be honest.
|Group 1||Group 2||Group 3|
Look to Learn Immersion
- Go to this Look to Learn Immersion page and explore some of the links.
- You only have 30 minutes so you won’t be able to view them all.
- Be prepared to answer at least questions 1-4, if not #5.
- If might be helpful to use this Today’sMeet backchannel to share your thinking and what you find that might suit certain courses, subjects or pastoral issues.
- You can go anywhere on the campus and work with whomever you like on this task.
- See you back in 30 minutes.
- If the other group needs more time, here’s an extension challenge for you: “Successful Learners” as Transfer Goals that will take you to morning tea.
Once you’re back with the whole group, please complete this short poll.
Tom’s Interactive Discussion
Colleagues who answered “Not true,” “This isn’t clear to me,” “I see things differently” or are challenged by what Tom refers to as “logistics” will meet for a de-brief.
Session 2 – The Nature of Understanding
Activity #4 – “Understanding” Your Real Job
The Melbourne Declaration’s “Successful Learners” as a Google Doc
The Australian Curriculum
- Aims and Transfer Goals for main KLAs or use…
- All Subjects’ Rationale and Aims (pdf) – Review your Learning Area’s Aims (last bullet points) and rationale (as you have time for)
- Transfer Tasks by Facets of Understanding and Learning Area (pdf)
- Discuss: “I used to think, but now I think.”
Understanding by Design
Session 3 – The Edge-ucators Way
How do you currently integrate ICTs? – Add your Ideas to this Padlet
Look to Learn
- OXFAM – Reshaping our World – Poverty Maps
- Idea Index from the Buckminster Fuller Challenge
- The Girl who Silenced the U.N. for Five Minutes
- Online Fundraising Efforts at Razoo
- 50 Items That Should Change the World
Tom’s WebQuest Resources
- WebQuest Homepage
- Article – What WebQuests Are (Really)
- Article – Why WebQuests? – short intro
- Rubric – Assessing WebQuests
Session 4 – Dara’s Path Forward
Dara’s “Wikicademy” Padlet
Possible Follow-up Activities
- Review the CEQ•ALL rubric and use it with students
- Explore the Web 2.0 Tools Panel
- Look to Learns: Copy the Thinking Routines / Prompts Page into your CMS
- Read about ClassPortals and brainstorm topics you might choose
- Explore Tom’s WebQuests and draft one using the template or Web-and-Flow
- Investigate Curriculum Design / Mapping software: Edutect’s UnitPlanner or Edumate
- Use the Aims and Transfer Goals for main KLAs page to develop Transfer goals and related tasks along the lines of those in the Transfer Tasks by Facets of Understanding and Learning Area (pdf)
- WordPress.com Blogs
- PrimaryPad Etherpad collaborative writing
- Wordle.net word cloud maker
- Polldaddy for making polls that are easily embedded
- Google Docs for collaborative writing within the Google Apps suite
- Today’sMeet for Twitter-like backchannel
- OnlineChartTool for making all kinds of charts (we used the radar chart)
- Padlet – for collaborative brainstorming with “stickie notes”
- The Web 2.0 Tools Panel – you can copy/paste this page into your CMS – these are my favourites.
Your feedback means a lot to me so I can get better. Please complete this short form. Thanks!