It’s a pleasure to be able to work with you over the year through a series of sessions. This is a great way to take new ideas, practice with them and try them out with students and staff, then meet again to build on those skills and insights. We will use this is the site to access the learning materials and activities for this workshop. Note that we will meet on these dates:
- Real, Rich & Relevant – Integrating Pedagogy and ICT’s: March 28, May 10, August 9 & October 17
- AGQTP Leveraging Web 2.0 for Authentic Learning: March 29th, May 11th, July 18th, August 10th & October 18th
- Introduce yourself (your role at your school, previous use of ICTs for learning)
- Your goals (what you hope to learn through this series)
Formal Introductions & De-brief
Now that we have used two techniques for leveraging ICTs / Web 2.0 tools to support learning, let’s do a face-to-face introduction and de-brief the advantages of online comments and input.
No one has to tell us that technology is changing our culture and the lives of our students. How will it impact education? How should what we do in schools change to best serve our purpose? What is our purpose?
- Presentation: Sixth Sense & Beyond?
Question: if learners have 24/7 anywhere access to information profiled just for them, what are 3 – 5 main knowledge, skills or values they will need to succeed?
Tom’s Follow-on Presentation: Next Era Ed
Questions? De-briefs? Debates?
- CEQ•ALL Overview
- Flow overview & Csikszentmihalyi‘s Conditions of Flow (pdf)
- Deci & Ryan’s Self Determination Theory & Paper on Intrinsic Motivation
- Harvard’s Visible Thinking and Thinking Routines section
- Grit – Duckworth’s paper and TEDx Talk + NY Times article on school’s approach to Grit
- Costa’s Habits of Mind pdf:
To “Work the Web” for education, we need a flexible space that empowers us to easily work with rich media. Our first stop will be Tumblr.
Full Tumblr Tutorial page – new!
- Start an account: Tumblr Login
- Find sources of rich media to follow: Tom’s Tumblr archives list & Follow (+)
- Explore Tumblr and search Tags: https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/
- Review your dashboard from those you follow
- Next: Reblog (but Why? – Look to Learn site + Copy/Paste Prompts )
- Tumblr sidebar Tagcloud
Look to Learn
- Which is the Real China? (taggalaxy)
- Nuclear Giving (PSA)
- Chris Jordan (Visual Arts)
- There’s Data in them ther Kids (political cartoon)
- The Global Rich List (interactive site)
- Miniature Earth (video analogy)
- VisionShift: Whose Future? (1994 Internet promo)
- “I Can” (TEDx)
- Look to Learn – overview
- Look to Learn Web site
- Look to Learn Sample Prompts
- Thinking Routines from the Visible Thinking team at Harvard
2 – 4 5 – 10 Look to Learn Activities for your students