Please begin by using the comments link on this post to share your personal learning goals for this workshop.
I have the pleasure of facilitating another 2 Day workshop for the Studies of Asia group at the Victorian department of education. Lindy Stirling, State Advisor, Studies of Asia (see the Studies of Asia Wiki) has organised this session at the Clifton’s in Melbourne’s beautiful CBD.
After adding your comment, you might like to download the handouts for this 2 Day Workshop
Studies of Asia Links
- Studies of Asia wiki
- Units of Work – from Studies of Asia Wiki
- Asia Education Curriculum
- Asia Education Student Activities
Activity 1: Great examples from previous Studies of Asia Workshops
To get a sense of what we will be creating over the next two days, please explore the work created by participants in previous sessions. Try to notice the features, strategies and benefits gained from such a learning platform.
- Carolyn C
- Jenny B
- Maffra Indo
- Wild’s Epic Nihongo Blog!
- Japanese Culture
- Asian Literacy @ L.P.S Blog – Great PD WebQuest on Asian Cultures
Brainstorm what you noticed using a shared Stixy board
Activity 2: Creating your Online Platform
- Get a WordPress Blog
- Change the theme
- Make a Post
- Embed YouTube (remember &rel=0)?
- Try TubeChop.com (see the Tubechop Update tutorial)?
- Get Firefox or Chrome for extensions like the video downloader?
- Embed all kinds of media in WordPress (maps, images, documents or polls?)
- Customising your Menu
- Getting Started Tutorials from WordPress.com or WordPress Lessons or Overall WordPress Support Tutorials
- Copy / Paste Look to Learn Prompts into a page on your blog
- Copy / Paste the Web 2 Tools Panel?
- Use the About Page to capture your goals for using the Blog
Fine-tuning your Blog
- Comment Settings
- Siderbar widgets
- Various How-to Videos from WordPress
- Add as a link to your Sidebar (video) or Add a link (page)
Added Bonus?:Web 2 Tools
- Download the Web 2 Tools Overview handout
- Explore the Tools Panel
- Use these icons to edit it for yourself?
Activity 3: Look to Learn
- Online Samples by K-12 / KLA
- Look to Learn – overview
- Look to Learn Web site
- Look to Learn Sample Prompts
- Diigo Look to Learn Links
- Thinking Routines from the Visible Thinking team at Harvard
The Tumblr Twist
To “Work the Web” for education, we need a flexible space that empowers us to easily work with rich media. Our first stop will be Tumblr.
Full Tumblr Tutorial page – new!
- Start an account: Tumblr Login
- Find sources of rich media to follow: Tom’s Tumblr archives list & Follow (+)
- Tom’s Most Reblogged Tumblr Sources:The Daily What, The Guardian, The Atlantic, The Week Magazine,The New Yorker, Al Jazeera
- Explore Tumblr and search Tags: https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/
- Review your dashboard from those you follow
- Next: Reblog (but Why? – Look to Learn site + Copy/Paste Prompts )
2 – 4 5 – 10 Look to Learn Activities for your students
Activity 3: Enrich your site with content and rich media
- Netvibes – Lindy’s Cambodia Resources
- RSS in Plain English (Common Craft)
- Tutorial: Add a Link
- Tom’s Strategies and Studies of Asia Resources
- Tutorial: Add a Netvibes Feed
- iTunes – Embed a podcast with a player
- Add Flickr images through Creative Commons Advanced Search
- TED / YouTube Channels
- Use Dropbox for online file storage (podcasts)
Activity 4: Manage your Rich Media Links
- (Social Bookmarking explained by Common Craft)
- Diigo Social Bookmarks: get the toolbar, login and start bookmarking!
- Consider joining or pinching from the Look to Learn Diigo Group
- Lindy’s Diigo Studies of Asia Group: Join this Group.
Activity 5: The ClassPortal Twist
- Child Slave Labor News (see also “Slavery Footprint“)
- PodKids Australia
- Possible Topics?
- Brainstorm your passions (Stixy)
For Ideas & Inspiration
- OXFAM – Reshaping our World – Poverty Maps
- Idea Index from the Buckminster Fuller Challenge
- The Girl who Silenced the U.N. for Five Minutes
- Online Fundraising Efforts at Razoo
- 50 Items That Should Change the World
- Contribute to Wikipedia? – Simple English Wikipedia on China vs. regular China page
C E Q • A LL / Seek all!
Self-managed Learning Framework for students
- Overview / Rationale
- Profiles (pdf)
- Rubric (pdf)
One Response to Studies of Asia & ICTS